- This week is ZONING WEEK! at the Planning Department, and county planners want your input as they re-write our decades-old zoning code. They're having a public listening session at 7pm on
- Saturday's another big day in Downtown Silver Spring. In the morning, head over to Fenton Street Market between 9am and 2pm and check out wares from your neighbors' studios and attics alike. It'll be the last one on the parking lot at Fenton and Silver Spring Avenue before condos are built there, or next spring, whichever comes first.
- After that, it's the third-annual South Silver Spring Block Party, held on several blocks around the intersection of Newell and Kennett streets. There will be live music, over fifty local vendors, an "international food court," not to mention a beer garden. The party starts at 1pm and officially ends at 6 but, as all Silver Spring get-togethers tend to, it'll probably devolve into a kegger (sans keg) and last much longer.
- Next month, Moorenko's Ice Cream is hosting an open mic series for the kids, filling a void for youthful expression in Downtown Silver Spring. The Art N Soul Teen Open Mic will be held the first Friday of every month, starting next Friday, October 9 at 7:30pm. Can't help but wonder if The Kids would benefit from an open mic open to everyone (it's always good to learn and work alongside those who've been there before). Moorenko's is located at Georgia and East-West Highway, next to Arts Alley.
- Hey, scroll back up and check out our new label categories! In an attempt to make JUTP as hyperlocal as possible, I've started filing posts by "neighborhood," allowing You, The Reader to separate the wheat from the chaff and read things that only apply to your locality. "But why don't I see North Hills of Silver Spring Oak Park Estates/[enter subdivision here] on the list?" you might ask. Perhaps that's a little too local. BUT if you want to see that kind of stuff here, let me know! Send any tips you've got to just up the pike at gmail dot com.
Post a Comment