- The Burtonsville Dutch Country Farmers Market re-opens 9am TOMORROW (!!!) at its new home in Laurel, on Route 198 east of Route 1. Hope your stockpiles of wings and German chocolate cake lasted the summer, because mine didn't.
- The Sligo Creek Golf Association teams up with County Councilmember Valerie Ervin and the Salute Military Golf Association tomorrow for a press conference on the future of the Sligo Creek Golf Course. Last month, Councilmember Ervin proposed turning the beleaguered public links into a therapeutic facility for veterans. That event's at 9am on the course, located at Sligo Creek Parkway and Forest Glen Road.
- And when you're done with that, head to the Georgian for a breast cancer benefit hosted by the creators of new photobook True Beauty. There'll be a fashion show, a raffle, an art exhibition, and a Michael Jackson "best dance-alike" contest. Don't fret if you missed last month's "sushi girl," because the benefit will have "naked caviar," served atop host and book author Richard Chu. "please, please, please, however tempted you are, only nibble on the -food-," reads the announcement. The party starts at 7:30pm.
- And, of course, Friday night is Aretha Franklin at Montgomery College's new Robert E. Parilla Performing Arts Center, located on Georgia at Burlington. According to the website, tickets are still available for the Queen of Soul's 8pm performance at just $75. Aretha will be breaking in the new venue, followed by what appears to be a five-night run of 1976 cult classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show. (Now, don't judge.)
- It's another big weekend in Downtown Silver Spring: on Saturday, come out to the first Fenton Street Market from 9am to 2pm in the parking lot at Fenton and Silver Spring Avenue. After that, stick around for the sixth-annual Silver Spring Jazz Festival featuring Allen Toussaint and local boy done good Marcus Johnson. That's from 3:30 to 10:30pm, also in a parking lot, this one at the corner of Colesville and Georgia.
And don't forget the Takoma Park Folk Festival Sunday from 11-6:30 at Takoma Middle School.
Parilla Ctr is in Rockville - you are confusing the campuses and performing art ctr names.
Post a Comment