- Speaking of UrbanTurf and condos: they've got a lovely profile of downtown Silver Spring, with quotes from some of your favorite local community people. I take issue with real estate agent Debbie Lee insisting that "Everybody hates that stupid mall" called City Place, as there's certainly a large - if not well-heeled - clientele who shops there. That said, I'm looking forward to plans to turn the mall around.
- Jerry McCoy stays in the Courtyard Marriott on Fenton Street and tries to imagine himself as a tourist to Silver Spring.
- Speaking of which: WikiTravel, the travel guide "anyone can edit," has its own page on Silver Spring. "The 'center' is nice and full of happy people, but also rather artificial and full of chains," it says. You know, the Lonely Planet travel writers got paid to make the exact same conclusion.
- A teacher at Kemp Mill Elementary School was fired for allegedly touching a child, but he - and the child's parents - say it's the principal who deserve sexual harassment charges.
- Express Night Out is taking nominees for their Best of 2010 survey, which looks for everything from the best local bar to the best local street musician. We're hoping you'll consider JUTP for "Best (Non-Food) Blogger," though, of course, I'll be on my way out soon.
- Come to a special going-away happy hour Thursday from 6 to 8pm at Jackie's Sidebar, 8081 Georgia Avenue.