- In celebration of the return of Chompy to their headquarters, the Discovery Channel's joining forces with the Express Night Out to hold a photo contest. Take photos of the inflatable shark, give it a funny caption and send it to @Discovery or Shark_Week at discovery dot com between now and July 26. Finalists will be announced on July 30 and a winning photo printed in the Express on August 6.
- I was initially impressed by the somewhat-trendy decor, sleek website and friendly owner of the newly-opened Siu's Asian Bistro on Tech Road. I tried the Chinese/Japanese/Thai restaurant yesterday and was terrifically underwhelmed by the food. I'll have to try again in a few weeks when they get their act together, but in the meantime it's back to Rockville for Chinese food. (Miss you, Michael's Noodles and Sichuan Pavilion.)
- If you haven't already heard, fifteen people were arrested after a man was assaulted in downtown Silver Spring Monday night, but don't go making stupid generalizations about it.
Last, but not least:
- Check out these lovely photos of the new Civic Building, though I'm not sure who took them.
- Greater Greater Washington has its monthly happy hour tonight at Biergarten Haus, located at 13th & H streets NE. If you haven't been to H Street in the past few years, you're in for a big surprise. (A hint: it involves hipsters.) The GGW happy hour moves around the region each month - if you're not willing to travel far for alcohol and idle chatter with transit nerds, I'm trying to get them to have the next one in the Hyattsville area.